Friday, September 6, 2013

Buen Camino

We are traveling across Spain on the Camino de Santiago with pellegrinos (pilgrims) from all over the world. Although most are walking, we are bicycling. 
When greeting a pellegrino, the standard greeting is "Buen Camino" which means "Have a good Camino." This phrase is interchangeable with "Buenos Dias," "Hello," "On your left," or "get out of the way because my shoes are clipped into these pedals and my bike is very heavy with these panniers, so please don't make me swerve to get out of your way."
Since we're biking on the road, and the walkers are walking on the path, whenever our paths cross we greet them with "Buen Camino!" 
Pellegrinos respond with either "Buen Camino" or something in their native language. We don't comprehend, but assume that they could be saying, "the same to you," "you're crazy to do this on a bike," or "my feet are killing me."

No comments:

Post a Comment